North Korea has been shooting down the suspected ICBM since 2017

The suspected ICBM flew at an altitude of 6,000 kilometers (3,728 miles) and 1,080 kilometers (671 miles) and fell into the water off the west coast of Japan on Thursday with a travel time of 71 minutes, the Japanese Ministry of Defense said.

Thursday’s launch is North Korea’s 11th year One on March 16th Considered a failure. Analysts say it may be the longest-range missile test ever launched by North Korea since the last ICBM launch in November 2017.

Japan’s Deputy Defense Minister Makoto Oniki told reporters on Thursday that the height of the missile would indicate that it was a “new type of ICBM” that North Korea was close to developing weapons capable of targeting the United States.

The United States has joined forces with allies South Korea and Japan in strongly condemning Thursday’s launch and called on North Korea to refrain from further acts of instability.

US President Joe Biden is currently in Belgium, where he is attending the G7 summit with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida. The meeting is part of a series of meetings, including an extraordinary NATO summit, as Western leaders seek to align their responses to Russia’s brutal occupation of Ukraine. The European Council meeting will also take place on Thursday.

According to analystsIn the latest series of North Korean missile tests, President Kim Jong Un is trying to show the world that Pyongyang is a warrior in an increasingly turbulent struggle for power and influence.

“North Korea refuses to ignore it and seeks to use its global aggression in the war in Ukraine to force it to pursue its status as a nuclear-armed state,” said Leaf-Eric Easley, associate professor of international research at Ewha Womans. The university in Seoul told CNN.

See also  Array

“North Korea has not launched an aggression anywhere on the scale of Russia’s aggression on Ukraine, but Pyongyang’s ambitions are violating the defense as it seeks to undermine post – war security order in Asia,” Easley added.

Thursday’s test comes two weeks after South Korea New Conservative President elected, Yoon Chuck Yeol, Outgoing President Moon Jae-in is expected to take a tougher line against North Korea.

In response to Thursday’s suspicious ICBM test, the South Korean military fired several warning missiles for the first time since 2017, the Joint Task Force (JCS) told reporters.

“Our military has been monitoring the movements of the North Korean military and ensuring that we have the capability and posture to accurately strike the missile launch site and command and support facilities at any time when North Korea launches a missile,” the JCS said.

Provocative act

Analysts say North Korea test-fired a loft missile on Thursday. Joseph Dempsey, research partner for defense and military analysis at the International Strategic Research Institute in London, said: “This is a tactic they often use to test long-range systems without provoking another country.

Preliminary data from Thursday’s test show that it could be the Hwasong-17, a much larger ICBM than the Hwasong-15 tested in 2017, he said.

Kim Dong-Yup, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said the data showed that the Jupiter missile had a maximum range of about 15,000 kilometers (9,320 miles) – which theoretically puts it within reach of the U.S. continent. The warship it carries – about 3,000 kilometers (1,864 miles) more than the Hwasong-15.

See also  Ashley Party Retirement: The world's No. 1 player has announced his retirement from professional tennis.

Kim said that despite the potential extended limit, Pyongyang has not yet successfully demonstrated the technology capability required to enter the final stages of flight in the Earth’s atmosphere.

The American answer

Pyongyang’s most recent releases, on February 26 and March 4, may be targeted Test the new ICBM systemThe U.S. Department of Defense said earlier this month.

Earlier this month, the US Indo-Pacific Command announced that it was intensifying “intelligence, preparedness and surveillance operations” on North Korea in the wake of the latest missile launches.

The move by the Biden administration is a signal that the United States and its allies in the region, such as South Korea and Japan, need to strengthen their military position against North Korea’s missile tests.

The command said they had ordered “intensification of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations in the Yellow Sea, as well as enhanced readiness among our ballistic missile defense forces in the region.”

Earlier this month, the U.S. military conducted exercises to demonstrate its readiness, including simulating ballistic missile defense systems, following North Korean operations on and around the Korean Peninsula.

The U.S. military’s 35th air defense artillery has moved into the distance, “occupying its wartime defenses, establishing the Patriot missile system and operating air and missile defense operations in simulated combat conditions,” Korea said in a statement.

At sea, F-35 and F / A-18 fighter jets fly aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier, along with U.S. Air Force assets in the area, exposing troops in the Yellow Sea off the west coast of South Korea. , According to a report by the 7th Fleet of the U.S. Navy in Japan.

See also  Array

This story was updated to clarify the location of the missile.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.